Monday, October 12, 2009

You Should All Be Ashamed of Yourself!


I know I am. In my only attempt ever at "shotting the put" or whatever you weightmen call it nowadays, I managed something like 17 feet. In my defense, I only weighed 118 lbs. at the time (yeah, can you believe that?) and was using the heavier college implement (a cannon ball I think it's called!).

Ruth Frith set a world record for her age-group at the World Masters Games in Sydney yesterday. Her shot-put of 13' 4.2 " let her claim the gold medal in the Over 100 age group! Never mind she was the only competitor; Father-Time and the Grim Reaper are staunch competition for anyone in her category. She is also heavily favored to win gold in the javelin, and hammer events.

1 comment:

  1. I hope that I'm still alive at 100! I've known a couple of centenarians who were still competing - one even throwing the weight! the best guy I ever met was only 96, and he was a real pistol! After I did badly in the discus at the Masters meet, he looked me square in the eye and said "What are you going to do about it?" Called out by a 96 year old guy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics