Saturday, December 7, 2013

Temple: More Perspectives From Real Reporters

I am a Temple Alum.  My Podiatry School was affiliated with Temple in the 50's and 60's, became independent when I was there, but became affiliated with Temple again in the 00's. They even sent me a new diploma with real sheepskin.  So I still get a  phone call asking for help every day from "my alma mater".  This is despite having only one experience on their campus in my life.  I took my MCATs there after getting a ride from former roommate Doug Kent from PSU in 1981 Spring of 1980, (Doug even took his Camaro (or was it a Firebird?) over xx* mph during the ride because I told him I had never been.).  I have a soft spot in my heart for Temple because despite the gunshots and sirens going off right outside our building (I'm not making that up!)  I did very well. The police even locked us IN the building during the exam.  Talk about stress.

With the announcement of the dropping of 7 Varsity sports, the opinions are pouring in from all over. Needless to say, Football in combination with Title IX is a Mens Track and Field nightmare.

The last time Temple cut programs was in 1986, when it eliminated eight sports. The move also gets the school back into compliance with Title IX. The Inquirer notes that the school had been out of compliance for years.

An anti-football screed from Deadspin.

* actual number omitted because Doug is a lawyer and I'm not a fool. (Well, most of the time!)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dave, In the interest of blog accuracy, I must point out that Doug Kent, my roommate his senior year, graduated in 1980. He was your roommate before he was mine, and it is always possible that even though he graduated in 1980, he still gave you the ride in 1981, but I thought I'd point this out in case it jogs your memory on a possible date correction or maybe on his car, too. I'm with you, his car was one of those two cars, I'm thinking Firebird, but not sure enough to bet on it.

    Anyway, thanks for keeping us informed about the sad cancellations of our sport at Robert Morris and now Temple. One of my runners at Camp Hill had just made a visit to RM and I was able to alert his parents right away of what was going on at RM. They had not yet heard but appreciated knowing. RM might have ended up as his top pick, he just had his visit there the week before RM cancelled, but he will now look at other schools. It's a shame what is happening to our sport.... a damn shame....
    -RMH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course 1980! I don't know why I put 1981. Doug had already been accepted to Villanova and dropped me off at the stations there to fend for myself on the Mass Transit System. He had something to do there before starting The Paper Chase.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics