Monday, August 4, 2014

It Wasn't Easy Finding a PSU Connection at the 2014 Sea Isle City Beach Run

Penn State Track Alumni (Golfers) have combined to win many of the recent iterations of the sand-filled event.  Tyler McCandless and Kyle Dawson combined to win the last two.  Barb Black finished her 21st in a row despite the food poisoning caused by New Jersey's storied tomatoes!

But other than that, I was hard pressed to find any PSU connections at all among the 1,400 or so brave souls.  Thankfully I was introduced to Rick Robinson (PSU 1980 Biochemistry), who joined fellow "old white Kenyans" Bill Kehner (37 in-a-row!), Tim Kelly (author of the recent book on basketball legend Red Klotz), and felllow podiatrist Ron (Bile) Ferguson. These guys have combined for well over 100 Island Runs in their time.

"The Old White Kenyans" Bill Kehner, Tim Kelly, Ron Ferguson and Rick Robinson.


For the record, I did my usual 3-miler earlier.  So as our President recently opined, "Stop the hatin!".

2 comments:

  1. Actually intended to run this. But hit an injury speed bump about six weeks ago. Sorry I couldn't make it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ran quite of few of them, but now I just hang around and take blurry cell phone pictures instead. That damn race is as bad as any marathon I've ever run. Hot, humid and the wind in your face both directions about sums it up. It takes a stout heart and a fetid mind to consider "streaking" this race.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics