Wednesday, November 12, 2014

It's Always Snowy In Syracuse

I spent a fair amount of time in Philadelphia.  Enough to know that it certainly isn't always sunny there.  But every time I have ever been to Syracuse, there has either been snow on the ground or it snowed while I was there.  I thought this past weekend was my chance to break the spell.  But alas, I was wrong.

The small college USCAA had its National Championships at a golf course outside of Syracuse on Friday.  All of the PSU branch campuses comprising the PSUAC belong to the Association that takes in all kinds of small colleges, trade schools and the like.  Quite an eclectic and cool group.  One of the powerhouses of the Association is the Dine College Warriors Dine College is a college of Native Americans in Arizona for the Navajo Tribe.  Their women won the team competition and the men came in second.  I also appreciate how they embrace their Warrior mascot without apology.  Good for them.  I found myself giving war whoops to their runners along with their large contingent of fans. And they were just as rabid in cheering for their last runner as they were the first.  Made my heart feel good.

Well, anyway, back to the weather...

As I got up at 5:00am in Philadelphia for the trip north with my Daughter the Younger to take pictures, the weather forecast was for 60% chance of rain.  but as we traveled north over the mountains, I could tell it was going to be worse than that.  Lo and behold, fog, rain, sleet, freezing rain greeted us as we arrived in Syracuse.  The small amount of snow came just as the mens race was about to start, generating a very cool greeting from all of the runners involved, led by the Dine College Warriors.  This was captured by Daughter the Younger while I fumbled with the camera I had, getting nothing.



Cross ountry is always better with mud and 1/2 inch spikes.

Daughter the Elder after a fall and blurred from the sleet.

The ice and snow started to accumulate!

Daughter the Elder before the fall!
Daughter the Elder - 47th place, 3rd from the PSUAC! With a 2 minute improvement in time from her PSU 6K performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics