Saturday, March 7, 2015

It's Still Indoor Season Really: Awards And Coveted Entries At Nationals

Coach John Gondak, who I have been fortunate enough to call a friend since his arrival at PSU, was just named the Mid-Atlantic Coach of the Year for Mens Indoor Track.  In his first season, John has brought some needed energy into the program, and not just in his natural coaching position of Middle
Distance tutelage.  I spoke with some athletes at the recent Sykes and Sabock Challenge, and across all disciplines of the sport, he was praised by everyone.  There are some exciting times ahead for all of us invested in PSU Track and Field.

And let's not forget about Darrell Hill's Field Athlete of the Year also.  We've kept up with his progress quite well on this blog.  For some reason, I really enjoy his Shot Put event despite it being the farthest from my limited wheel house. Can I call what I did a wheel house?

Entries to the Indoor NCAA Nationals (this year in Fayetteville, Arkansas) are always limited to the top 16 times or distances or performances.  PSU has quite a few entries, however.  The 3rd ranked Shot Put of Darrel Hill, the 2nd place Distance Medley team and the 3rd ranked Mile of Brannon Kidder lead the pack.

  • Darrel Hill,   Shot Put    -3rd seed      67' 3.50"  School Record
  • Robby Creese,  3000M     -8th seed    7:50.36    School Record
  • Brannon Kidder,  Mile     -3rd seed     3:57.13  School Record (3 readers pointed out that Robby Creese's 3:57.11 is the school record.  Thanks to all! You guys are the best.
  • Brian Leap,  Triple Jump   -13th sed   52' 6.75"
  • Mens Distance Medley Relay -  Brannon Kidder, Robert Rhodes, Za'Von Watkins and Robby Creese   9:28.36   2nd seed
  • Rachel Fatherly   Shot Put  -13th seed   55' 5.75"
  • Rachel Fatherly   Weight Throw   -14th seed   69' 2"
  • Womens 4 x 400M Relay  Megan Osborne, Dynasty McGee, Tichina Rhodes, Kiah Seymour 11th seed   3:34.90
  • Kiah Seymour, 400M  14th seed   52.72
And it just doesn't seem like Outdoor Track Season yet.  My high school Freshman daughter has only had 2 practices so far, one of them indoors and the other one on the road doing hills. Here are my Nike snow boots I originally purchased in the early 90's.  I had to dig them out for some shoveling this week.  I hate them a lot.  But I love the throwback Nike Internationalists in the background!




1 comment:

  1. And the little red book on the shelf above my snow boots is actually Mao's Little Red Book, which I picked up in China for the equivalent of about 6 cents. The lady told me they sell them everywhere as a joke. And everyone was really happy to see an American, especially my blond-haired, blue-eyed 4 year-old. We were mobbed for 20 minutes everywhere we went so that everyone could get a photo with her. She was a rock star, for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics