Friday, May 15, 2015

I Snuck Into Town Early

I am still being guided by forces far more powerful than I.  With a day off work (hallelujah!), I came to Happy Valley for some leisure time prior to the Reunion weekend.  I did my usual things no one else would care to do with me and ended up at a downtown Szechuan restaurant to pick up some Kung Pao for dinner.  And the only person that I know that I run into is, again,  Greg Fredericks with his son Jeffrey.  This is the third time I have run into Greg without trying.  This wasn't the most fortuitous of the three, but still pretty cool none-the-less.  It tells me that continuing the work it takes to put on this event is worth it.  Remember everyone, Founder Clark Haley, does Herculean efforts to keep this event alive.  Make sure to thank him when you see him. Today, I'll visit Coach Groves before ending up on the links for some practice time with Clark and previous Holder of the Golden Putter, Bob Gabel. Then I'll see YOU at the Alumni Reunion!

Greg will be stopping by at the Reunion event this evening, maybe in time to see himself on the big screen!  I have a DVD of the 1980 Olympic Trials, featuring him and Larry Mangan in action in the distance finals.

Greg Fredericks, NCAA 5000M 1972.
1. Steve Prefontaine (Oregon)......13:31.4
2. Greg Fredericks (PennState). 13:34.0 (PSU Record)
3. John Hartnett' (Villanova)....13:43.4

4. Glenn Herold (Wisconsin)..13:45.8
5. Mike Keogh' (Manhattan). 13:48.3
6. Rick Hitchcock (Kansas State).......... 13:49.5
(also under old MR)
7. Dave Tocheri' (Northern Arizona) ......14:03.0
8. Phil Burkwist (Washington State) .......... 14:04.4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics