Wednesday, March 21, 2018

The Brotherhood Loses Another

Ted's attire at this year's St. Pat's solo concert.

We lost another brother yesterday.  Ted Lyon was truly a remarkable individual.  With intellect and incredibly varied talents, he was truly one of a kind.  Exactly the way I describe the generic Penn State Track Alumni (Golfer).

I first got word via  Paul Souza and Facebook.  My reaction was eerily similar to my reaction after the passing of Steve Black, my brother-in-law, last year. The empty feeling in my chest, and yet the rapid and fluttering heart rate indicated to me that all of us in the PSU Track Alumni Family are truly brothers. (That includes all you women too, damn it to the new-fangled gender gobblety-gook we have to deal with! We are all a family, no matter what other differences we may have.)

Ted had incredible talents.  His running resume brought him to Penn State to follow Ricky Garcia, both from the famed high school of Remember the Titans fame, TC Williams.  While at PSU, his guitar talents united him with Paul Souza.  They teamed on several bands in State College, including The Trend and The UP. (Incredibly, Steve Black played rhythym guitar with Paul and Ted at one time also!)

Ricky Garcia Lane 1 and Ted Lyon, lane 2 for TC Williams.


Paul Souza, left with Ted Lyon, right.

Following graduation, Ted and Paul both hightailed it to Boston to form a band called Beat Surrender. For 7 years they led off for bands like Santana, Cheap Trick, Bruce Hornsby and the Range and Natalie Merchant.

When the band finally broke up, Ted moved to Williamsport and started another phase in his eclectic life.  He was recently married and has 2 kids from a previous marriage.  My condolences to everyone.

I am deeply heartened that I had the opportunity to golf with Ted in a recent Coach Groves Golf Tournament and we had a ball, as we both were there more for the comaradarie than the actual golf.  We reconnected after many years apart, but still started right where we had left off.  Make sure to make it to our Track Alumni Reunion this year.  You could be missing out on something you won't have a second chance to enjoy.

Ted warming up behind me and my dad, 1979.


Let it be said that Ted was still a better golfer than I.  (But then so are you!) RIP,  friend.

1 comment:

  1. Oh well, very sorry to hear about Ted. I remember him as very good natured and fun to be around. I'll be thinking about him. Ed

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics