Tuesday, June 4, 2019

1973 Cross Country Team, Things Were Heating Up In America



 Notable, at least by me:
  • The disembodied heads of Captains, Bob Hillman and Charlie Maguire.  I think this was the only time this was done on any of the pics hung at Rec Hall for XC and Track.
  • Friend and Podiatrist Jim Bray seemingly sitting on Coach Groves' lap.
  • Future Podiatrist Walt Majak.
  • Manager Mark Parker, future President of Nike, Inc.
  • A very young looking George Malley.
1973 was a very busy time in America.  Hard to believe anyone had time to run!

1973 History Snapshot

  • Politics: The Roe v. Wade US Supreme Court decision legalized abortion.
  • The Top Song was Killing Me Softly With His Song by Roberta Flack
  • The Big Movies included The Exorcist, The Sting and American Graffiti
  • On August 11, 1973, at 1520 Sedgwick Avenue, Bronx, NYC, Hip Hop was created by a guy named DJ Kool Herc.
  • Price of Men's leather sandals in 1973: $2.81
    Watermelon: 9 cents/pound
  • The World Population was ~ 3,859,000,000
  • Federal Express (FedEx) began operating in in 1973.
  • Richard Nixon gave his famous "I am Not a Crook" speech at the Contemporary Resort, in Disney World.
  • And... Spiro T. Agnew resigned as US vice president and then, in federal court in Baltimore, pled no contest to income tax evasion. He was fined $10,000 and put on three years' probation.

My uncle worked the barn over at Belmont. I had the HONOR being 10 years old and meeting this amazing animal. He wasn't antsy in his stall at all. Every single horse I ever seen before a race was always antsy. He was calm, really calm. He loved attention. I will never ever forget this horse. HUGE compared to the rest of them. My pops told me that day that we were so lucky to be close to this beautiful amazing animal, he also told me to remember because I would never meet another horse like this one again in my life. He was right. I was on a stool just to reach his neck, he bent his head down for me to touch his head. I was in awe the entire time. I had no idea who he really was until I grew older. I am blessed and honored for that meeting.  -Anonymous.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics