Sunday, July 6, 2014

You Can't Go Home Again. But If You Close Your Eyes, You Can Still Smell Mom's Cooking

A Review of the 2014 Remake of the 1980 Nike Internationalists:


I have called the 1980 Nike Internationalists The Best Running Shoe Ever Made Which is, of course, hyperbole.  But it certainly is the best shoe I ever wore at the (miserable) "Peak" of my running career.

So I finally bought a pair of the remakes just to see if a bit of the magic could return.  And you know what?  They do bring a smile to my 3 miles a day treadmill routine.  In fact, I have run an average of 3 1/2 miles a day since slapping them on.  (A 1/2 mile a day may not mean much to most of you, but have 3 knee surgeries, gain 80 pounds and turn 54, and then let me know!)

The shape and last of the new version is identical to the original model.  A straight lasted shoe ideal for my foot type, may not be what everyone else fancies.  The insole provided is probably infinitesimally better than the original, but not statistically better.  It is removable and the shoe is ideal for the insertion of any over-the-counter insoles or prescription orthotics.

The upper materials are really, really similar, but probably newfangled stuff I don't know anything about.  The quality control is far superior to the old waffle shoes of Nike's early years, but these manufacturing problems were mostly ironed out by the time the Internationalists appeared.  Mine come in blue and white (Fight on State!), but there are other options.  If they continue to make them (which I doubt), they will probably change the color scheme every 40 minutes or so as per the whims of the buying public. (Hyperbole again, for the haters out there!)

The midsole represents the biggest deviation from the originals.  Substituting for the EVA materials of the past is the new Lunarlon material developed by Nike Sports Research Division recently.  This supposedly will mean better long-term wear.  I'll get back to you about that!

The green "Lunarlon" midsole and "waffled" forefoot.

The rubber outsole and tread pattern is different than the original with a cut-out to show the green Lunarlon midsole, but still has a facsimile of the waffle-look in the moderately flexible forefoot. I'm not sure if this outsole will wear as well as the original and I'll get back to you on that.

Compared to the "bulky" cushioned shoes and the "minimalist" shoes out there, these beasts would fall in the middle but closer to the minimalist camp.  The feel of the shoe during activity is noticeably different than all of the very cushioned shoes I have worn for years.  There is minimal height difference from heel to forefoot, (which too many people make a big deal of nowadays).  Remember, "a little heel height never hurt anyone"; At least in training shoes.

I was prepared for an injury or at least a lengthy, and achy transition from what I have been wearing for many years.  But in reality, I had one day of knee pain and then all was immediately good again.  The feel of running in them is very similar to what I remember as a 1/2 of my current size "yout". This shoe is an ideal training shoe for a fit and fast runner of any age.  It could even be worn in a longer road race without incurring much in a speed deficit.

I got these shoes via Road Runner Sports via the mail order and they ran me $89.95 with the normal member discount.  The least I've paid for a shoe I run in for many years.  They also have a more true-to-the-original model utilizing the EVA midsole and waffle tread pattern of the 1980 version.  These are listed at $79.95 retail.  I might try them next!

4 comments:

  1. I forgot to add that the laces are far superior to the origanl laces, which became untied no matter what during every run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feeling old - I was the original development manager on the Pegasus 2, developed in Korea. Penn State team members now wearing the Pegasus 31. For the record I was also a big fan of the original Internationalist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The original Internationalist pre-dated me by about 2 years at Nike. Timing is also a few years before "air ". You list the last as straight but I think they would classify as " semi-curved ". You are correct that the midsole is the biggest variation from the original. The original was a die cut open cell EVA whereas the new one has a compression molded EVA midsole. Compression set and resiliency is better than die cut so the midsole will last longer and give a better " ride ". The new outside design will be better for improved forefoot flexibility and some weight savings. So overall you are getting an improvement over the original.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry - looking at your picture more closely. Midsole is probably injection molded not compression - even better.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics