Friday, December 20, 2013

"The Rest of the Story"

Yeah, I stole that.  I do that a lot.  But it fits this post so well..

When several very astute and alert people in our Group saw that brief glimpse of a Penn State Track jacket at the Mandela Funeral in South Africa, the question went out.  "Who is it?"

It wasn't long until he was identified via the email listserv.  But then it ended...

I wanted to know more.  And as someone who has taken it upon himself to try to "herd cats" and unite all PSU Track and Field/XC Alumni, I had to find out more.

Well, I was successful.  And in the Spirit of this Season, it brings a measure of Hope with it.  Nelson Mandela is rightly seen by many around the world as South Africa's George Washington.  And that doesn't demean either one of them, it actually enhances each of them. Both were given the opportunity to become "Kings" following long durations of suffering and "battles" lost.  But when given the opportunity, both said "no" and ruled with magnanimity, compassion and wisdom.  Take a look at the trajectories of South Africa and Zimbabwe, and you know how much Mandela means to the world.

It turns out that it was Tim Webb, Class of 1990 High Jumper, Triple Jumper and Long Jumper who was there for that brief snippet on NBC News.  But I've written posts on much less than that snippet.  Hence, this post.

Tim Webb, Class of 1990.

I got in touch with Tim via the wonderful part of the Internet and got the opportunity to find out more about the whole thing.  I'll just give you what he emailed me:


I came to visit my American Family in Johanesburg for thanksgiving. Once I got the news on the 5th of December I was compelled to extend my stay.
 
My family friend Ricardo Gressel was my host and his wife is a long term ANC supporter. They built a Mandela garden in their front yard and every night we lit candles and sung freedom songs.  What is unique about this is they live in a majority white neighborhood and they wanted to let their neighbors and community know that they could celebrate Madiba life with them as he was a man for all the people no matter what the color. See attached picture.

On Tuesday we left at 4:40 am in the morning on the local train to FNB stadium in Soweto where the Memorial Service for the public was held.  This was an awesome and unique experience as the family and other comrades as they boarded the train sang and danced on the train all the way to the Stadium gates at 6:00 am for a program that did not start till noon.  This was amazing to see the unity and togetherness and love for Madiba. To top it off our president did an excellent Job!  See pictures of Obama on Screen and my family who attended as well.
Unfortunately the Funeral event was VIP so I did not make it to the burial. However every night including Sunday we lit candles and song freedom songs. We also visited Mandela home as well to lay flowers and pay our respects.
I have made t shirts we want to sell for $20 dollars with $5.00 going to Mandela Children's Foundation. See the picture at Nelson Mandela house.
On a different note I have been to SA many times as a Fellow of the Emerging Leaders Program organized by Former Ambassador to South Africa Jim Joseph and Duke University and The University of Capetown in 2004 and several times thereafter upto 2006. This was my first time back in 7 years.  I intend to come home for the holidays and return to SA to work on housing development and other ventures.
If you can, I would appreciate it if you could get that clip for me.  Also tell Rodger Williams I said HI!





3 comments:

  1. Impressove detective work and wonderful story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would never guess how many Tim Webb's I had to work through to find the right one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave - great post and thanks for introducing all of us to Tim! Another reason to be Penn State proud. LTM

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics