Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Physics Updates For All of Us

I have neglected Physics for too long, so here are two good stories for the lovers of the purest science we have left.  Much purer than its applied cousin, Climatology, for instance.  Don't get me started!

First,  scientists have long wondered how lightning appears in sandstorms. (Warning, it is another Fox News link, although no Liberals were harmed in the reporting of this article!). Sand is an insulator, in case you didn't know.  Believe it or not, they now have just begun to unravel the mystery by applying the basic physics of Newton et. al.  Interesting stuff, but they still don't know where the original electric charge comes from.


Secondly, scientists have discovered a great way to make T-shirts that block all ultraviolet rays, most neutron rays and the occasional drive-by bullet!  I want mine to say "I'm with Stupid!" or better yet "My friend works at the Tevatron and all I got was this stupid t-shirt!"

2 comments:

  1. Be careful what you wish for, Dave...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Possibly "I'll work for Bandwidth"? or maybe "I'd rather be golfing"?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics