Saturday, October 2, 2010

PSU Track Alum (Golfers) in the News: Steve Walsh and Mark Hawkins

Steve Walsh has begun his tenure as Track and Cross-Country Coach at William and Mary, which I'm positive will become a successful transition for both Steve and W and M. In an interview after his first several days, Steve was asked about Coach Groves' influences on his career choice.
You said in college you ran for Harry Groves, who used to be our coach here. Were there any stories that Harry would pop out about William and Mary? Or when this job came open, was Harry on the phone saying, “Look, you have got to take this job”?
"Yeah, when I called him about it, there was no question, he was like, “You have got to get that job.” He was a huge supporter of William and Mary. Even when we were at Penn State, he’d either talk about Penn State or he’d talk about William and Mary. And he always talked Wand M in the highest regards, always talked about the Colonial Relays and the importance of the Colonial Relays. We would come down every year. When I told him that the job opened and that I was informed about it, right away, he had stories on stories about how great the College is and what an unbelievable area it is and that he thinks that you can do so much down here. So he was a big reason why I kind of looked at the job and was interested in it, because just like I want to get my kids to have a lot of trust in me, I trusted Coach Groves. And if he says it’s the place to be, it’s the place to be"
And us old-timers are still hanging in there!  Larry Mangan sent me Great News from the Great Race in Pittsburgh last week.  In a race with more than 4,000 runners, 51 year-old (sorry about that Mark!) Mark Hawkins placed 20th in the 5 K race with his 17:55. This was a return to running after a few years that boggles my mind. You can see Mark finishing strong in the video from KDKA by scrolling ahead to his finishing time HERE.  Not too shabby; he's giving the 49 year-old Jeff Adkins a run for his money! My 3 10:00 miles daily pale in comparison.

Thanks again to Larry for the tip.  Larry has been one of the blog's biggest supporters, and will become an Idiot Officer as soon as I come up with a suitable title.  Suggestions are being accepted. Receptionists are standing by!  And now that you all have heard about Mark's exploits, pester him to attend our golf outing this year.  He has a knack for photography, a skill sorely needed  by our group.  (Although I do have some video upcoming from our well attended Alumni Run at last year's reunion starring Coach Groves as starter, timer and one-liner deliverer.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics