Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Penn State Track and Field Alumni (Golfers) Excel at Procreation!

From the newly ordained Assistant to the Laureate (and Chief Laundry and Morale Officer) Larry Mangan, comes these great tidbits attesting to the great genetics of our members.

  • Chris Rapp helped his Tennessee Volunteer teammates to their fourth place SEC position with his 26th place at the Conference Championships.  Chris is the son of  Tom Rapp ('81) and Mary (Rawe) Rapp ('81), two of the finest people you could ever meet.  Both were All-Americans for PSU "in the good ole days", and Tom's name appears on the Harry Groves Memorial Cup!
  • Heather Ziegler, daughter of All-American John Ziegler helped her Meadville High School team to a first place finish of District 10 in PA.  Larry also told me a great story about his recruiting visit to PSU, when John took him out on his first ever morning run.  In typical John Ziegler fashion, the "5-miler" was 6 miles at 6 minute pace and very little talking from Larry for once!  Hard to believe Larry still decided to come to PSU after that!
  • And Michael Mangan helped his Lower Moreland team to its first place finish in District One (?) advancing to States this weekend.  Larry will be there, as well as Jeff Sanden and Mark Haywood.  I hope they can give me reports if I can't make it.

2 comments:

  1. Timely post....
    I am in Vienna at the IAEA and Mike Whitaker from Oak Ridge and a grad of UT Knoxville asked me tonight at dinner if I knew of a kid at UT who was tearing up the XC course whose parents were former PSU stars and if I knew them. I said, yes, yes I do.
    Boyer

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are other grads of Tennessee who view the blog frequently. I consider them a friendly sister program. Us Track alums are a close-knit bunch.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics