Sunday, February 12, 2012

Old Spikes Stir Memories on Facebook

Paula Froke brought the topic up on our Facebook Site.  (Why not sign up?  You know you want to!) She couldn't remember the name of them at the time.  Brian Boyer, Official Physicist showed everyone he's not just a brainiac and good looking, but a memory whiz besides.  He knew they were called Titans.

Chief Laundry and Morale Officer Larry Mangan fondly remembers the Spiders we both sported in those glorious years.  Puke Green Suede beauties they were.  At least until Don Ziter tore mine up (along with taking off my big toenail!) in a cross country race on the Blue Course.  The hole and blood marks persist until this day.

Googling Adidas Spiders only landed me some Ebay versions of the new-fangled ones for sale by enterprising Britons. Somehow they took away the beauty of them by removing the suede and making them neon green.

3 comments:

  1. Anyone remember the SL80's? Nice training shoe for us big guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The name is familiar, but I'm blanking on them. Any more specifics? I was a skinny guy then, so I probably didn't pay attention!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they are the shoes that had relatively hard, flaired lugs around the heal. I still have a scar on my calf from a run near the deer pens when a stone got stuck between lugs and sliced me a nice horizontal slice.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics