Tuesday, March 24, 2015

More on PSU's Last Male Distance Olympian


Greg Fredericks with someone familiar in the 70's.


Here's some recent thoughts from Larry Mangan who ran in the 1500M at the 1980 Olympic Trials and got to see first-hand, the last male PSU distance runner to make the Olympic team. I hope he doesn't mind me chiming in occasionally!  My thoughts in red.

I saw a post by someone on FB that bothered me a little bit when I read it, then really irritated the hell out of me as I thought about it a bit longer.  He claimed that he was the only runner to “try to win” the 1980 Olympic Trials 10K (and that he cried after the race), and that struck me as a bit hollow.

 I was track-side at the ‘80 Trials in large part because Greg Fredericks quietly showed up nearly every Monday and Wednesday that spring to do intervals with us.  When he wasn’t there, I assumed he was doing some other workout that crazy 10K guys preferred to do. On the days he did show up at the outdoor track – days that were dreary, cold, rainy, windy and cold (did I say cold?) – we inevitably ran 10x400 or 6x600 or 4x800 or some other workout (ok, those were the only three workouts) designed to separate us from our lunch.  (I had the pleasure to run exactly 1/2 of a workout with Greg that Summer, just before the Trials.  It was a 6 x Mile at 4:20 pace with a 400 jog between.  Several of us would run the first half with him of each mile.  I managed 3 2:10 halves that day...)

 In 1980, Greg was a married, 30-year old father who had a full time job running his own company.  (He had not made the team in the 2 previous Trials, which were supposedly his best chances!)  The rest of us were 20-21 year old bozos who couldn’t find their backsides with both hands. (I can attest to that also!) All through that spring I pushed myself to run with Greg as a training partner, sharing the load and trading lap after lap.  I tried to copy his flawless form and run as relaxed as possible, no matter how fast the pace.  In 1980 I ran a sub-4 mile, and qualified for the Olympic Trials, in large part because of Greg’s (and also because of Mike Wyatt, Bob Snyder, Alan Scharsu and John Ziegler) presence. When Greg passed Alberto Salazar with 2 laps to go in that ‘80s Trials 10K I was moved to tears as well.  That last 800 washed away the frustrations from ’72 and ’76 and was a perfect capstone to a great career. Craig Virgin may have won that race, but Greg EARNED his place in that race and in history.*

Thirty five years later, Greg continues to quietly show up every day to spend time with and care for our Coach.  He also keeps us connected to alumni and friends on a regular basis. He also helps with the Annual Reunion and Golf Outing, even though I can't get him to golf with us!  I don’t think I know of another person who has tried to “win” every day as steadfastly as Greg Fredericks.  I don’t think I know of another person who has been as successful.

*  There may be big news soon on this.  We may have video of that race and the rest of the 1980 Trials!  I'll do my best to bring it to you.

2 comments:

  1. Fredericks won two National titles: the 1972 AAU 10k (in which he set the AR, 28:08) and the 1975 AAU XC title.

    A stunning factoid, if it weren't for the likes of three runners: Steve Prefontaine, Marty Liquori and Craig Virgin; Fredericks would have had SEVEN National titles!

    1980 Olympic Trials 10,000 2nd to Virgin (fastest 10k in the world)
    1978 AAU 5000 2nd to Liquori (#2 ranked 5k in the world)
    1977 AAU 5000 2nd to Liquori (#1 ranked 5k in the world)
    1975 AAU Cross Country 1st
    1972 AAU 10000 1st (28:08, American record)
    1972 NCAA 5000 (13:34) 2nd to Pre (#4 ranked 5k in the world)
    1971 NCAA 3 mile 2nd to Pre (#10 ranked 5k in the world)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since Greg graduated, there has not been a single distance runner at PSU who has had the same qualifications both on and off the track. There have been many great runners during than time span also, adding to the greatness even more. Coach Groves appreciates Greg more than any other graduate (from his own lips), and that's despite honestly stating that he would not have recruited him from high school because he was "too slow". Greg stood up for Coach when no one else, including me, did. He has called Greg the greatest person he has ever met. Everybody, should I include the film of him stating that?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics