Thursday, March 5, 2015

No, Homer Simpson Did Not Discover The Higgs Boson

Reading this advertisement for a book disguised as an article, one would think that the writers put the weight of the Higgs Boson down on Homer's chalkboard 14 years before the Large Hadron Collider pinpointed it.



But as our future Official Physicist puts it....

"Balderdash!"
-Ron Moore.

Of course, I asked his opinion because something didn't seem right about the whole thing.  When I noted the link to purchase a book, my suspicions were heightened. But my "B" in college Physics (I got an "A" in the lab...), does not give me the intellectual heft to pronounce even Homer Simpson guilty of exaggeration.

Ron's friend Cheng-Yang Tan helpfully pointed out that the result of Homer's formula is...

775 GeV /c2

...which isn't even remotely close the the real value of ...

 125Gev/c2

And a hat-tip to all the Physicists out there, as always.  Keeping this crazy world real is a monumental task.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics