Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Meow Is The Time For My Penn Relays Story

My only run in with The Law was because of the Penn Relays...

In the early 90's, I was carefree and unencumbered by kids and old age.  I had been bragging to a running friend about how great the Penn Relays Distance Night was for track geeks and we decided to go down after work and check in for all the festivities.

It was a great night running in to old PSU friends, Podiatry School friends and even Coach Groves in his usual spot along the wall under the clock.  Jim Clelland was even running in the Corporate DMR!  We had a wonderful time and I explained to my friend how great the Cold Molsons Party was.  It was still going on at that time!  We had a ball.

We stayed way past what we should have and the events were behind schedule.  Both of us had work the next day. I had 3 surgeries the next morning starting at 7:00AM.  We got on the road at Midnight or so and I actually used a fuzzbuster to blaze the Turnpike home as fast as I could.

Finally back to York, I prepared for the exit, which was only 1/4 mile from home when I saw the lights flashing.  I pulled off the side of the exit ramp and waited as the cop behind me took more than 5 minutes to do anything at all.  When he finally came to the window, he announced I was going 75 mph, something I almost never have done.  Oh well, IT WAS THE PENN RELAYS AFTER ALL!

He asked for my license, insurance and registration, which I had at the ready.  I expected a ticket and the points to go with it and then be on my way.  But he was taking even longer sitting in his car behind me this time.  It was at least 10 minutes, and I was getting nervous.

Turns out that none of my information matched.  I had moved 3 times in the previous year and had not yet bothered to update anything.  The address on my license, registration and insurance were three diferent places and he was a little miffed at this.  I was really nervous now and he said, "Which is your current address?"

The answer was, of course, none of them!  I had moved just 2 weeks before and was at my fourth place.  The cop was now laughing, thank goodness.  He said he was kinda new to a situation like this.  He knew he should throw the book at me but he didn't know how to do all the paperwork.  Or he didn't want to do it!  So he told me that if I promised to update all of this in the next week he would let me off with a warning.  I didn't even get a ticket.  The Penn Relays are wonderful!
 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics