Sunday, April 26, 2015

Just a Foot Away From Contending

The foot just happened to be injured!

The 2015 PSU quartet finished 10th in the 4 x 800 Championship of America on the 30th anniversary of the record run by Chris Mills, Randy Moore, Steve Shisler and Vance Watson.

It was a disappointing end to a otherwise very good appearance at the Penn Relays Carnival for the Program.  It all came down to the lead-off leg, where Western Australia's Jordan Makins injured his foot and still managed to finish in 1:55 and change.  Those precious seconds meant the difference in such a competitive field.  Heal up, Jordan, there are plenty of great days ahead!

10 Penn State 7:26.54 Jordan Makins (1:55.01), Robby Creese (1:49.01), Robert Rhodes (1:52.75), Brannon Kidder (1:49.78) 

But there was some good news on the Javelin Field.  Michael Shuey placed 2nd in the Championship event with a toss of 241 feet, 9 inches.


Michael Shuey with Coach Patrick Ebel.

3 comments:

  1. 1977 Penn Relays, 4 x 1500. Anchor leg. Tennessee well ahead victory secure. I get the baton right in from of Nova's John Burns who rides my ass the entire race. At some point I even told him to "get off my ass, man"

    I believe it was Bill Sheskey who told me this story (not really sure). But he was standing next to Harry by the fence. With Tennessee's win secure all eyes were on PSU vs Villanova. Two guys next to Groves were talking about Nova and how they were going to win the catfight for second, irritating Harry to no end. Groves finally got tired of hearing it, figuring they had to know full-well who he was, so he turned to them and said, "My guy has a broken foot and there's way he's going to let Nova beat him!"

    When Burns finally tried to pass me with 250 to go I made him pay for it and blew him out of the stadium. At the finishline I looked at him with a smile, "I told you to get off my back!"

    Moral of the story is: if you are going to mess with a guy with a broken foot, that will be the foot he shoves up your ass!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got 2 broken foot stories, but it's not about me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like an apocryphal tale at best. Anyone in the know remembers that Harry stood under the clock on the west end of the track, back to the wall, draped in blue and white with a PSU hat cocked on his head. Maybe the moral of the story should be to only recount factual events that led to a win. Second place is like kissing your sister. Unless that floats your boat.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics