Tuesday, May 22, 2012

More Good Things From the Reunion Weekend

There was so much going on, there is no way I'll be able to remember 1/4 of it.  Here's some more happenings that happened to stick in my mind for the moment.

  1. I had the pleasure of meeting many alums from the years prior to my matriculation.  Bob Osterhoudt amazes me with his fitness at age (redacted) Richard Gross, Charlie Hull, Al Shaeffer, Robert Szeyller. Bob Parsons, All Porto, Carl Tewold, Dick Geiger and Joe DeStefano all seemed to be having a great time.  All of them are on board with spreading the news to their teammates to come next year.
  2. The Group's Digital Archive Goddesses Jeri Elder and Kay Warfel volunteered 5 hours of their time to take photos of all the foursomes for me.  They will now be enshrined on our Officers Annals!
  3. I got to talk to many of the current athletes and the new Throws Coach Andy Banse, a great addition to an already overwhelmingly excellent staff.  I instilled in Andy my total ignorance of the throws, but also my intense fandom.  I impressed no one with my abilities, but I dare anyone to match my support of their accomplishments.
  4. Did I mention that our Le faucon d'orange Mark Hawkins sank two 40-foot putts out of three?
  5. I got to talk to James "Frit" Cooper after more than 30 years. He still looks to be in the same shape as when I saw him run a sub-9-minute two-mile indoors at Cornell with Charlie Maguire. Frit was in the small group when I took my very first run after arriving in Happy Valley.  A ten-miler that somehow became 12!
  6. Horace Ashenfelter III told me the story of how he learned he would be a father for the third time from his wife while in Helsinki just prior to the Olympic Games.  His praise and devotion to his wife should set an example for all of us.
  7. Jess Riden continues to set world records for tasks completed.  I didn't get to talk to her much, but we all owe her major kudos for the whole weekend. She will also become an Officer of our Group.  I have not come up with a suitable name yet.
  8. Gary Black won the Longest Drive contest on his very first shot of the day.  Bob Gabel followed up his previous Golden Putter exploits with a Closest-to-the-Pin victory on that very difficult par 3 hole with the elevated tees.

Next up will be a listing of the Standings, conveniently supplied by Coach Gondak.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics