Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Penn State Track and Field Alumni in Africa

I know of two Penn State Track Alums doing good works in Africa.  I have nothing but respect and admiration for both of them.

We all remember how gamely Munya Maraire handled a golf club for the very first time in our tournament.  He is now coordinating Track athletes in his native Zimbabwe. With great success, may I add.


Janet Norem is also on the big Continent, doing great Missionary works since 2002.  I posted her blog on the right sidebar which explains more than I can, but I recently put her to the test with a number of questions.  She has kindly responded:

 
Ok, here goes.  Since 2002 I’ve been part of a mission outreach team based first in Malawi (until 2008) and then Mozambique. The place where the team lives and works is your basic rural African village setting.  Among other things I’ve used my training in ag to try to help people eat more throughout the year and increase their incomes.  Midway into 2009 I had to return to the U.S. to help out my mom, and now I live in California and work for the team remotely.  I am able to make short trips (1-2 months) back to Mozambique; my next one is scheduled for  the last week in June.

  1. What have been your most rewarding experiences?

 When we moved to Mozambique I was able to rent a place in a village, while the 2 families on our team rented houses in town and spent a year finding villages to move to and building houses there.  I spent much of that time with a mountain bike and a gps, traveling from village to village and mapping roads, trails and village locations and names (“Good morning! What is the name of this village?”).  That was a time when I often thought to myself, “I love my job!”  Beyond that it has been rewarding making friends with people in my village as well as neighboring villages.

2. What has been your most exciting experiences?

I’m not much of an adrenaline junkie, but most of my heart-pumping episodes have involved transportation, whether trying to keep my truck tracking straight over a log bridge, careening down a hill on the back of a bicycle taxi with the wind blowing alcohol fumes into my face, or nearly any trip involving a minibus.

3. The place you enjoyed the most?

One of my most miserable races and enjoyable vacations took place at the same place: Mount Mulanje in Malawi.

4. Did PSU Track/XC prepare you for any of your work?

Definitely.   Aside from learning how to handle chaos and dysfunction, I sponsored a running club in Malawi for about 3 years. 

5. Do you still run? 

Yup.  I’ve been a member of the San Luis Distance Club (San Luis Obispo, CA) for the past 20 years,   But I love running in Mozambique when I’m there: endless trails to run (and get lost) on.

6. Any thing you care to add. The canvas is blank (as is my mind!).

Everyone on our mission team runs, and this has not gone unnoticed by the locals.   Once the lady who washes my clothes was asked what the job of the white people was, and she answered quite seriously: “To run.”   
That's Janet on the bottom right at a 2008 Reunion of the Women's team.



3 comments:

  1. Nice item. I like this kind of post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to all of you for all of your support to us in Zimbabwe. We are looking to try and do more in the realm of track and field and would love all the support you can continue to give in kind in relationship and in prayer.

    Welcome to WWS Group
    www.worldwidescholarships.com
    Africa's leading Sports development, University Placement and Scholarships linking organization

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can anyone ID the other women in the photo?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics