Friday, May 10, 2013

Track and Field Makes For a Smaller and Better World

Just browsing the internet at some point yesterday and I came across this photo from the Dogwood Relays at some time in the late 70's or early 80's.


That's Patrick Davey with plaid shirt and the priceless smile.  Pat ran for Tennessee and happens to be one of the best photogs in the Track world.  We've used many of his beauties in past posts here. Pat also happens to be from Birmingham, MI, where I lived while a Resident at a Hospital 1/2 block from 8-Mile Road in Detroit.  Somehow, we have a lot of friends in common.

Which brings me to the gentleman on the right.  None of the guys in the photo probably knew Mike Conte prior to that weekend's meet, but that's kind of how Mike rolled.  Everybody had such a good time that Mike hung around for an additional two weeks.  Everybody there had good things to say about Mike's wandering track spirit.  That spirit eventually brought him to Podiatry School and my small circle of running friends while studying the "foot arts".

Mike was really good friends with my roommate Brad Toll (The world's greatest roommate, BTW) when I lived in Michigan, making the world smaller and smaller, better and better.  The coincidences with this photo are extraordinary, and I jealously refuse to believe they are anything short of God's way of telling me something. I roll like that.  This is the third time He has purposely told me something.  Each of the other 2 times, I was changed in monumental ways, and I can't wait to find out what is in store for me this time.  But I'm not sure yet what it means.  It has something to do with Friends and Family though.

Dr. Mike Conte died a few year's ago at a triathlon in Allentown.  I think Brad was there with him at the time.  This photo brought a smile to both me and Brad, and will be sent along to Mike's parents, bringing an even bigger smile.  He really was one-of-a-kind.


1 comment:

  1. I once entered Mike in an Open 800 M race at the Ice Complex. It was an epic journey, with a Turnpike flat tire that could not be changed (had to saw off lug nuts!) 9 degree weather on the track, further car breakdowns, sleeping on dorm floors... Mike ran a 1:56 or so, which wasn't bad for an "old man" in Podiatry School. I watched with amusement!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics