Friday, March 4, 2016

Curt Stone World Exclusive!


or should I say,

Curt Stone World Exclusive!

I don't think I have ever used the extra-large font size on the blog, as that is considered gauche among the blogging elite, of which I can only aspire.  But when Friend of the Group and Track Historian Extraordinaire Mike Fanelli* sent me these pics to post on the world wide internet for the very first time, I knew I needed to do something different. 

Mike has also been invited to post a guest post on the blog with it all.  We even had the splendid opportunity to speak for the very first time.  It is a pleasure to know that Track and Field (Athletics!) unites so many of us across miles, years and even differing disciplines.  We really do have the finest people and sport in the world.

In a conversation with Horace Ashenfelter at the Reunion 3 years ago, he explained how Curt was the keystone of all the pioneering NCAA Championship teams in the 40s and 50s for PSU.  He recruited all of the key runners.  Photos of him always show an unassuming young man, but under that facade was a Champion of the highest order. (And 3 time Olympian!)

This pic is the inside back cover of the 1953 Coronation British Games...it is Curt Stone leading Gordon Pirie in the 'two miles international' at the 1952 Whitsun British Games.

The program from 1953 with the pic of Curt Stone winning the 1952 2-Mile.
 *I slandered Mike in my previous post.  He took it with humor, as intended, evidence that he "gets it" when considering the importance of mirth and the option of golf!  But his Museum of a garage looks nothing like the photo I included.  His actual garage is organized and visually pleasing.  Meanwhile, my miserable museum of memorabilia is being moved from my basement to my garage right now!  Here is mine...


Pitiful.

 
 
Web Statistics