Wednesday, August 24, 2011

RIP Joey Vento

The unapologetic Joey Vento passed away yesterday at the age of 71.  Best known for his lucrative business in Philadelphia, Geno's Steaks, he never shied away from the backlash on his opinions.  When he posted the "Speak English" sign at the ordering window for cheesesteaks, he opened a can-of-worms that can't be closed.  The same violent opponents he created would also be the first ones Joey would stoop to help in any way he could.  A more true old-fashioned, melting-pot American will never be found.  I'm proud to have purchased a steak from him on more than one occasion and personally like them more than his neighbor and competitor, Pat's King of Steaks.  In the end though, I favored Jim's Steaks over both of them.  I would imagine that Joey would chuckle a little to hear me say that and then begin to try to change my mind....

And Ryan Foster added an entry to his blog, so I had better add it here!  Blogs are multiplying like rabbits... (or in his case devils!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics