Tuesday, November 8, 2011

A Somewhat Inept Attempt at Cheering Everyone Up

Scandal and unease has taken over State College and will only be getting worse.  Such is the way things work in a world where information can be disseminated instantaneously to everyone who wants it, and even to those who don't.  My heart goes out to everyone involved, especially families of the victims.

But, I take heart knowing what I would have done in such a situation.  Doing the right thing in this case would have meant extreme personal sacrifice, but I would have done it anyway.  Loss of job, friends, and more would have certainly followed, but I would have done what was right.

I know this primarily because of what my parents taught me, but also partly due to what I was taught by Coach Groves while at PSU.  I have witnessed what Coach Sullivan is teaching athletes at PSU today, and it gives me much encouragement that all is well with PSU Track and Field (and Cross Country!)  Honor, integrity and "doing what's right" doesn't guarantee success as an athlete, but it is one heck of a good accompaniment!  We can all hold our heads up high as Penn State Track and Field Alumni (Golfers, remember, the golf is optional, but highly recommended!)  I know I'm not the only one who learned quite a bit about how to deal with people and situations from Coach Groves. The athletes today have the same from the current Coaching Staff.  So let's all redouble our efforts to support the Program and each other as we suffer the slings and arrows from afar. Keep fighting the good fight and we'll become stronger than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics