Wednesday, November 9, 2011

PSU is 800U: The Comeback*

*  I changed the title.  I don't want to offend anyone, and this gets the point across better anyway.  Thanks for the feedback, whoever you are...

When I assumed the role of Herder of Cats for our 11-man Penn State Track and Field Alumni Golfers group in 2008, I had no idea what I was in for.  More than 800 posts later, I'm still surprised at what our little band of brothers have achieved with our experiment in motivation .  Nothing pleases me more than bringing a Lion back into the fold.

It was a delight to see Penn Relays Watch Winner and former Pennsylvania State High School Mile Champion Mike Cook at last year's reunion.  It was his first visit to State College since graduation! He's planning on coming again this year, and will even hack and thrash at the greenery on one of Happy Valley's glorious golf courses with us this year! (I don't think we have decided which one yet.)
 
But when Mike told me that he even recently ran a 10K, I had to refresh my computer monitor (the one at work, since I still don't have a replacement for the exploded one at home) and check again.  I don't think Mike ever ran a 10K when we were really running 10Ks back in the day.  He had decided after high school that the mile was a bit too far and switched to the 800M instead.  But now, with a slight nudge from our humble little cadre of has-beens and never-was's, Mike is truly a distance runner!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics