Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Crazy Like a Fox

A year ago at an indoor meet I had a conversation with 2 1980 Olympians about several topics, including the future of college track and field.  When I stated that we must do all we can ourselves to fortify ourselves against the discontinuation of major programs across the country, one of the Olympians said I was "crazy" and that "it would never happen".  Luckily, one of the Olympians was Greg Fredericks, and he can verify the substance of the talk.  Two of the programs I highlighted were Villanova and Maryland.  After dismissing me as a credible source of knowledge, the Olympian moved on to other topics. And, oh yeah, I really made him mad when I told him that in our only race together, I beat him.  New contest:  who was he and which race was it?

Well, I was right (and here!), although I won't deny that I am crazy for other reasons.   And I am sorry that I made him mad by telling him about the race. I really am.

We must do all we can to avoid the same things happening.

9 comments:

  1. Ding, ding, ding!!! We have a winner. (I really didn't mean to upset him either!) I'll see if I can rustle up a prize from the vast archives. (Actually I'll send you a nice shot glass, which is great for putting maple syrup in for pancakes.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Belmont Plateau XC Race. Don did not like XC all that much! Neither did Mark Belger, who I also beat handily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fall of 1977!! Bonus Round - in what hotel did the PSU team stay the night before that race??? LTM

    ReplyDelete
  4. That answer could be worth a PSU Track Alumni Performance Jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll take a stab, the Sheraton on the Main Line. S. Shisler.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heck, I was there and I don't know! Larry? Larry? LARRY! Where are you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The old Adam's Mark hotel on City Line Ave.....we stayed at all the finest places!!!

    Harry would never have sprung for a place on the Main Line. After that, I don't remember staying at a place other than Howard Johnsons. LTM

    ReplyDelete
  8. Living large and loving life back in 1977! I remember singing Earth, Wind and Fire songs and making Mike Wyatt cringe. I remember my brand new green suede Adidas Spider spikes. I remember Parachute Hill. I remember KKOB making the van toxic. BUT I DON'T REMEMBER STAYING AT A NICE HOTEL! Alzheimer's, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics