Friday, June 14, 2013

He Picked One of Coach Groves' Least Interesting Pieces of Advice

"Don't attack a hill from the very bottom; it's bigger than you are!" --HARRY GROVES


Running author Mark Will-Weber included Coach Groves in a recent Runner's World article Five Pillars of Wisdom.  Coach's advice on how to run hills is probably quite good, but I'm still giggling thinking about the hundreds of pieces of advice from Coach that Mark would never be able to include in such an article.

I remember a very practical solution* Coach had a long time ago when he was taking several of us to the early morning 10K at the Coach's Conference Championships in 1980 in Piscataway NJ. (Don Ziter, Jim Clelland and Brian Boyer were there too.  I wonder if any of them remember?) 

We were behind a long line of cars turning left at a very busy intersection.  After several cycles of lights where 2 or 3 cars got through, Coach opined that all the other drivers were "idiots" (or something like that!).  He lectured that if everyone pulled ahead at a reasonable rate when the light turned green, double the number of cars would get through, instead of the reality of each car waiting until the car ahead pulls away before starting forward.  He was right, of course, but we will only see that happening when all the cars are computer-controlled and "driverless". (But at least that would free us to check all the important things on Twitter and Facebook!)

Keep it somewhat clean (on the level of Two and a Half Men's censors), but put some other pieces of Coach's advice that are better than "how to run a hill" in the comments.

*100% certified true memory.  I was riding shotgun for some reason and Coach was in top form.  I remember it as if it was yesterday.  But I can't remember what I ate for breakfast this morning.


6 comments:

  1. Keep the window closed. And it was a McMuffin.

    -Your friends at the NSA...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hee hee hee Although I have no doubt this blog is monitored by "Top Men".

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Keep the window open...when Kelly's in the van."
    KKOB80

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've followed this one religiously: don't get into a pissing contest with a skunk. Coach usually said it in the context of JoePa.
    gmcw

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Kelly The trip to William and Mary in 1977 was epic. Between your "odors" and Krombels "aromatics" I was wondering what I got myself into!

    And @George. That is a quintessential example! I have heard that one myself. Coach also always said he would urinate on his grave one day. I don't have the guts to ask him about it though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A real runner would have said to coach, "I'm a better hill runner than you are. That's why I can attack the hill from the bottom."

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics