Tuesday, June 25, 2013

One Thing Longer Than a 25-Lapper is a Silver Anniversary

25 laps versus 25 years.  No contest. 6/26/1988

One of two wedding photos I can find.
I lived in York, PA.  Barb lived in Philadelphia.  The wedding planner lived in Herkimer, NY and the wedding was at Eisenhower Chapel on campus.  Every step of the way was a hassle.  From the strict interpretation of the Philadelphia Diocese keeping us from using the campus site until a Monsignor intervened to the logistics of doing the license and pre-marriage classes in Philadelphia. It was also a hassle for all the guests, since no one was from State College, everyone had to travel.

Somehow it came off quite well.  The first ever reception at The Atherton Hotel was really one of the best events of its kind I have been to.  Mind you, all I did was show up.  Living away from everyone involved in the planning meant I had nothing to do with it.  Guests liked the idea of being somewhere apart from their usual digs, and the Party was monumental, I have been told.

The only hitch in the whole ordeal for me was the unexplained migratory arthralgia that seized my right foot foot and Achilles tendon that kept me from a run on that day. The bachelor party at the Putt-Putt Course the night before was pretty cool though. I'm all about excitement as most of you know.

2 comments:

  1. I was from Lock Haven, she was from Erie, and we too got married in Eisenhower Chapel (29+ years ago). We didn't have a wedding planner, the minister was from my church (a good Methodist boy, I, she a Lutheran). The Bachelor party was at Mr. C's (yes, it was still open then), and I don't recall much more, other than that my nephew almost dropped the ring off the pillow, and that it was a really breezy day. Happy anniversary Dave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @anonymous
    The "wedding planner" was a euphemism for my mother-in-law who planned everything that my father-in-law then had to pay for. And many a good story came from Mr. C's! The highlight of my wedding ceremony probably had to be Rob Whiteside in a rented tuxedo.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics