Saturday, June 8, 2013

"PSU is 800 U" and I Just Met a Man I've Known My Entire Life

The last time any single school had 2 runners in the top 3 of the same 800 M at the NCAA Track Championships was 1945.  That was a war year, so it may not be a good comparison since that was also the time when MLB had a one-armed player, there being so few able-bodied men in the ranks due to The War.

Cas Loxsom with a throwback singlet and Brannon Kidder with a newfangled one.


Casimir Loxsom finished second (1:46.88) and Brannon Kidder finished 3rd (1:47.51).  Hat tip to Oregon's Elijah Greer with the win at 1:46.68. It's been one heck of a career for Cas, and Brannon's seems to have started out fairly well too!  Only a true Hater would begrudge Cas the lack of an NCAA Championship in the age of Andrew Wheating, Charles Jock, Robby Andrews and Elijah Greer.  We have been blessed with an abundance of amazing talent in the middle distances, and PSU is holding their own quite well, thank you very much!  Having met Casimir and the rest of them makes me realize that they are even better people than runners, which is saying a lot.

We should all sport our "PSU is 800 U" wrist bands with the pride of a Champion and the humility of a human. If you don't have one yet, let me know.





And yesterday I spent the day in Gettysburg, checking out college options for my daughter.  I had a meeting with group member Darryl Jones at Admissions and I must say it reinforces my conviction that our group's members are some of the finest people on the planet.  Darryl grew up in Central PA just like me and walked onto Coach Groves' team the year after I left for Philadelphia.  Our paths didn't cross that we know of until now, but it's like we have known each other for our entire lives.  Probably 2 dozens of your names came up during our conversation.  PSU Track Alumni (Golfers) are some of the most talented, accomplished and intelligent people I have ever met.  Darryl himself has so many talents, none of us could possibly keep track of all of them.  I especially can't wait to sample some of his cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics