Thursday, April 10, 2014

Golf and Physics On Your Phone: And An Update on That Peeing In the Pool Thing

Yesterday's listing of some Track and Field Android apps garnered a nice little bump in readership, so I thought I'd slow things down a bit and introduce some Golf and Physics apps for the Android Phone.  And then ruin your lunch by bringing back that thing about peeing in the pool.

There are literally hundreds of apps out there for figuring out how far you are from the green on just about any golf hole on just about any golf course in the world.  Not that that would help me at all, but it seems to bring joy to those who can consistently hit a little white ball toward a small hole on a carpet of grass.

  • iGolf - Golf GPS (free)  from L1Technologies is one of the most prevalent.
  • Golfshot from Shotzoom. I have this one on my phone for what that is worth!
Neither of these help me at all since my 9-iron is as likely to burn worms as my 3-wood.  I can't hit a club a consistent distance, so what's the use?

There are also thousands of golf games out there, many of them free.  I've never played any of them.  My lack of an attention span doesn't allow me to get past the first shot in any of them. Let me know what you think is best?

But here's one I may use, as Tiger Woods is out of the current Masters!
  • The Masters Golf Tournament from Masters Tournament has just about everything you could want short of a ticket or a caddy assignment. Tee times, photos, videos, scores, maps.  I mean everything.
For those who love Physics, there are a surprising number of great apps out there.


  • Pocket Physics (free) from Geokonization is a learning aid with formulas and descriptions and images.
  • Learn Physics (free) from Paul Cotarlea has some tutorials to learn at your own (snail's) pace!
  • Physics Cheater (free) from UJJ_Laptop has all the formulas necessary in one discrete packet.
If you want to hear Albert Einstein there's an app with recordings of some of his thoughts. Or just the written quotes from someone who married his cousin and didn't care what color each sock was:
  • Albert Einstein in his Own Voice ($6.93) 
  • Albert Einstein Quotes (free) from Redobot
For the Gamers out there:
  • Cat Physics (free with ads) from Donut Games.
  • Space Physics ($1.99) from Camel Games.
But my favorite is the Physics Quiz (free with ads).  Somewhat easy, quick answer quizzes that are timed for scoring. But don't think you'll ever make it to the top of any of their lists!

And previously we talked about the large percentage of people who admit to peeing in the pool and introduced some thoughts about how toxic chemicals are created with the chlorine that are unhealthy.  It turns out that it would take a lot of people peeing in an Olympic-sized pool to make it actually harmful to humans.  Like 3 million people or so!  So dive in everybody, the water's fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics