Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The World's Greatest Apartment

Before there was "Track Houses and Cribs" and YouTube and even digital watches, PSU Track had "The Apartment" above the Lions Pride in State College.  John Ziegler was ensconced there while I was in school and held sway over some of the best parties ever held.  Some of my fine memories at the place are:
  1. Meeting my future wife there at one of Ziggy's parties!  
  2. Meeting the girl's gymnastic team at one of Ziggy's parties! How he coaxed them into coming was a secret he never divulged.
  3. Spilling a beer on a skinny runner recruit named Hill at one of Ziggy's parties, sending him off to obscurity at Oregon.  Ended up becoming filthy rich selling running tights, go figure.



I have recently become aware of a myriad of other PSU Track Alumni (Golfers) who also called "The Apartment" home for a year or more.   I didn't even know my Best Man, Rob Whiteside, called it home for 2 years.after I left State College!  The Shisler's both lived there, as well as Randy Moore and future PSU Track Alumni Golfer Dave Benman.  The talented and good looking (I'm just saying) Jeff Adkins, and Assistant to the Laureate and Chief Morale and Laundry Officer Larry Mangan also hung out there, which had been erased from my memory until now. The parties may have had something to do with that.  Please alert me to any additional roommates I'm missing in the Comments below.  And did anyone have "The Apartment" before Ziggy?  And how long did it last after those mentioned?  And more importantly, How could Brian Boyer have missed living there in his 16 years at PSU?

7 comments:

  1. After JZiegler, JAdkins lived there with LMangan. JAdkins then lived there with DBenman and I (and JPino). After that, Benny lived there with SShisler and RMoore. I think GMalley lived there one summer in the early 1980's. RW

    ReplyDelete
  2. I met my husband there at one of the parties in Jan '83. Although he wasn't on the team, John lived there with Jeff A, Dave B, and Rob W. John also mentioned that GMalley was there over one summer. EPino

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff and I shared the space with Mark Hawkins for at least one trimester (80-81 school year). Hawk had the couch, while Jeff and I had the spacious bedroom. I remember watching ESPN a LOT (when they showed European track meets) and seeing that phenom LA Dodger Fernando debut. LTM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Note "the Shisler's" lived in separate apartments above Lions pride (wink, wink).Vance Watson spent one semester with me until his mother made him move out when she got his grades for that semester. While Randy managed to live there for an entire year before his father made him move out, he affectionately named it "The apartment of Doom". Steve Balkey took over in '87. SShisler

    ReplyDelete
  5. There were 2 apartments. One for the ladies and one for the beasts! I knew that. I lumped them together because I'm an idiot after all. NTTAWWT

    ReplyDelete
  6. The second best apartment in the world was the efficiency I had at The Hair Loft on College Ave. for 4 years when I figured out it was cheaper than getting Hotel rooms for the football games. Slept six and was close to everything. The first kid ended it quick though. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And Larry. The first year of ESPN was great. Australian Rules Football was my favorite, although I never figured out if there were any rules. Electrical engineers on our North Halls dorm floor actually ripped it off from across the street in JoePa's neighborhood and ran it down the radiators, charging $10 for anyone who wanted "in". Crime at its finest.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics