Wednesday, October 5, 2011

I'm so old that....

  1. My first run was in Converse All-Star High Tops.  Two miles, the standard high school cross country distance.
  2. I remember the 1964 Phillies blowing their post-season chances.
  3. One track we ran on in high school was a 330 yard cinder beauty and another was grass.
  4. The phones in the dorms at East Halls were in the hallway, one for every four rooms.
  5. Beaver Stadium was still an open horse-shoe with a track when I saw my first football game there.
  6. I could make a big dent in my next term's tuition fee by painting houses in the summer, and still run 8 miles in the morning and 8 miles at night. (No young whipper-snapper should attempt this today!) Documentation available upon request.
  7. My first Nikes were obviously hand-made, and quite poorly also.  I loved them anyway.
  8. McDonalds were counter service only and hamburgers were 15 cents.  We had to drive 20 miles to New Cumberland to partake.  I always finagled my sister's fries.
  9. I once owned a Leisure Suit and platform shoes. No photos are available.
  10. Pittsburgh still made actual steel.  So did Allentown, for that matter.
  11. We actually discussed the possibility that Derek Clayton's Marathon world record may never be broken.  He discussed blood in his urine after the effort, which made everyone quite queasy. 
  12. Televisions still had vacuum tubes and took minutes to warm up.  That's how the habit of leaving them on all the time began. Technicians often made house calls to fix TVs which were "on the fritz".  This often took several trips, as the tubes were often not in stock.
  13. Land-line phones were on a "party-line".  Often, all your neighbors knew everything you talked about and to whom you talked.  900-lines didn't exist.
  14. Only one guy made football prognostications and he was a criminal.
  15. "Over-distance" runs for the PSU runners were 3 miles. (Source is a Horace Ashenfelter interview)
  16. The Empire State Building was the world's tallest and was built in less than 1/20th the time of the new World Trade Tower Building.  Everyone threw a penny off the observation deck to keep the urban legend alive.
  17. Everyone else on my first cross country team regularly took salt tablets to guard against "side stitches".  I have no idea who dreamed that one up.  I somehow knew better.
  18. I once bought bee pollen from Gary Fanelli.
  19. I once ran 35 miles from York to Gettyburg while my brother drove ahead to give me ERG  (Electrolyte Replacement with Glucose) every 5 miles. The head of the Bon-Ton Stores saw me at the square in Gettysburg and still to this day doesn't believe I had run from York.  (Marathon distance in 3:03!).  Those were the days.
  20. No stores were ever open on Sunday.   When I lived in Amish Country, the stores actually closed at 4:00 PM on Saturday so they could prepare for Sunday!
  21. Shoe stores regularly x-rayed your feet in shoes to see if they fit.  The machines delivered very high doses to the feet and high doses to the groins of the children viewed.  Shoe store employees were the only documented victims of the machines, however.  My feet were only in it once.

10 comments:

  1. My HS track was a fifth of a mile cinder "oval" - closer to a circle!! It had a drainage ditch and a metal drain cover right near the first lane (which, of course, had no rail!!). It was a thing of beauty. Also remember the phones in the dorms freshman year - 1 phone for four rooms. When Hawk and I were in Hamilton our number one year was 865-5555..because you didn't have to dial the full prefix, we frequently got drunken calls in the wee hours from kind strangers saying "dude your number is all fives". LTM

    ReplyDelete
  2. So THAT'S where those 4-minute- "miles" come from! And I was probably one of those callers (sans the drunken part let's assume.) I forgot you roomed with Hawk there. You had more roommates than just about anyone. Hawk was probably a good one though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The electrical engineering students in our North Halls dorm turned the phone booths in our hallway into an "Orgasmatron" as seen in one of Woody Allen's early movies. (Sleepers?) They actually wired it up with lights, sounds and electrical shocks in a display of ingenuity unrivaled outside of a college atmosphere. Had to hide it when any parents visited. The group was quite a lot of fun. Maybe I'll have to write down a few more of their exploits soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually looked it up. It was the movie "Sleeper".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orgasmatron

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our old high school track had a straight 220. We had to stop throwing the discus while they ran across the sector, into the stadium and on to the cinder track. If you drew lane 1 in a 440, you couldn't lean - the fence on the football field would take your head off. If you drew lane 4 in the high hurdles, you had to duck under the over hang of the concession stand or loose your head. We threw the shot off of dirt from a circle with no toe board. The discus circle was a portable metal circle that laid on the grass (read mud when it rained). Ah, yes, those were the days. Of course at Penn State, we threw the hammer from the circle by the meat cutting lab. Many times the Jiffy John barely escaped getting hit or punctured. On meet days, we threw the hammer at the stadium, the discus on the other side of the stadium, and the shot at State High, after they took out the track at the end of the football season our freshman year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hammer! Do you remember the Orgasmatron?
    And I've heard stories from the steeplers of how you had to duck before the water jump at Beaver Stadium if you valued your head. And, oh boy, do I remember the Westerly Parkway Junior High School track!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember no steeple at Beaver Stadium, then when one came it had a sand pit instead of water... but then I remember dirt being formed on the earth. glf

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been told that the water pit was on the outside like at Franklin Field and near the stands, which were elevated. Therefore, you had to watch your head if you were pushed to the outside of the barrier. Maybe I should ask The Blog Laureate. And I thought only Coach was older than dirt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I had to walk 8 miles to school each morning..... uphill.....both ways..... in the snow..... That's how old I am.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is turning intom a Monty Python skit! (I like.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics