Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Masters Exploits Astound

Well, they astound me anyway.  My 3 miles daily on the treadmill at about 10:00/mile* is about all I'm up for anymore.  That's OK, though.  Before my third knee surgery I told the doc to get me to the point where I could run 3 daily.  I'm sort of afraid to go for more, and when I do I usually break it into 2 parts.  Pitiful, I know, but at least I still have that.

Word from the Blog Muse came my way that Don Ziter ran a very nice 19:17 for a 5K over the weekend in his native Pittsburgh.  (At least there is one victory of sorts in that town!)  Ahead of him was our very own le Faucon d'Orange Mark Hawkins in 18 and change.  I salute my teammates on the splendid effort and for "bringing it" with PSU Track Alumni Singlets on display.  I'm trying to get more specifics and possible photos.

Before their heads expand too much I must point out the exploits of Zola Budd.  Yeah, that Zola Budd.  She lives in North Carolina and wears shoes now, much to the chagrin of the crazy bare-footers and their entrepreneurial cousins, the "minimalists".

She ran a rather spirited 5K in 17:47 at a college meet.   Beat the number 2 runner, 25 years her junior, by 50 seconds.  Zola is 47 years old and quite obviously still Bringing It.

*And even that is a bit of a lie.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Hawk and Ziter! Class of '81 still going strong. LTM

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics