Sunday, May 31, 2009

Entire Weekend A Booming Triumph!


For the first time, (and possibly the last!), I'll try to be serious for an entire post. I can't thank everyone enough for making the Harry Groves Golf Tourney and Reunion a resounding success this year. The response and feedback from everyone has been beyond my wildest expectations. Normally, I'm just an "idea man". Following up on my schemes and dreams is usually the weakest link of the entire plan. Luckily there are those who have the ability to implement the insane ramblings of an itinerant blogger to enhance the Track Alumni universe of Penn State.

And so, I must thank various members of our humble group. I'll forget some I know, but be assured I thank you all none-the-less. First, for the founding of our event, Clark Haley. Clark single-handedly made the whole thing up and did everything for 6 years! Next, Harry Smith has gradually taken over some of Clark's duties, and gets better and better at it each year. Steve and Beth Shisler host our buffet and awards ceremony each year, and I can't thank them enough for their hospitality. Gary Black helped me out a lot the past two years, with both monetary advice and "heavy lifting", (not to mention ironing skills). Barb Black, (some of you know her as my way-better half), took over our new non-golfers activities and concocted the ideal and unique activities which will be a springboard to including more family activities in the future. Susan Baskwill, my sister, and family friend Beth Slates were helpers, with Beth being our Official Nurse. We were prepared for any mishaps on Mt. Nittany! Anyone falling and suffering a compound fracture would have had cortisone cream and Hello Kitty band-aids right away! (Actually we were prepared for many catastrophes.) Greg Fredericks served as our Course Marshall, Hole-In-One Monitor and Golden Putter Attendant AFTER climbing Mt. Nittany at 1:00PM and organizing the team run at 8:00AM! JudyLynn Weaver became the Official Photographer and toured the course, (before being nearly decapitated by Kevin Kelly O'Brien on the 18th tee in the day's "Best Shot").

Let's not forget our corporate friends either. The Hampton Inn has been very good to us for the past 8 years. They have stepped up and set aside 30 rooms for next year's event, and I will do my best to assure we fill our allotment! Damon's was great to us for the food this year, and we recieved a 10% discount thanks to The Hampton Inn. Next year we will have a banquet room at Damon's if we get our expected number of increased participation. Rapid Transit Sports was good to us and sponsored some of the raffle prizes and awards, and is prepared to help even more next year. The Elks Club also went all-out for us, allowing extra carts all over the course for those not golfing.

And most of all, I want to thank everyone for coming, and ask that you consider coming again next year. I will go out on a limb and assure you I'll help to make it even better. If each of you entices just one other participant, we will have more than 100, now that the current team will be represented. Penn State should have the largest and most active Track and Field Alumni Group in the entire world, and you were there at the beginning!

Coming Soon: Results and Award Winners, (I'm not organized enough yet!)

Notice I wore a hat to cover the bald spot this year! I missed the putt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics