Monday, June 30, 2014

"Almost Heaven..." And an Open Note for PSU "Higher Ups" (Pass it along!)

I'm here in glorious West Virginia again reading about all the great vacations others are taking.  Oh well, West Virginia has many things to offer too!

Did I tell you about the first time I was here, buying batteries for my camping lantern at Wal Mart?  As I was reaching for my wallet, and I'm not masking this up, in the door walked a man covered from the top of his head to the bottom of his boots in coal dust.  Did I tell you I'm not making this up, or embellishing it in any way?  Straight from whatever mine was closest to Wal Mart, without even thinking of changing clothes or taking a shower.  The funny part was that I was the only person in the store that reacted as if something was amiss. I didn't have a cell phone for photos at the time but my wife will vouch for my complete and honest portrayal of events.  Imagine a photo of some big guy and then insert a silhouette instead.  And did I tell you I'm not making it up?

West Virginia Jokes (With apologies to Jeff Adkins, WV's Mr. Football in 1977.)

How do you know tooth brushes were invented in WV?  (They would be called teeth brushes if they were invented anywhere else.)

Why do so many get away with murder in WV? (The DNA always matches everyone and there are no dental records.)

Did you hear that the governor's mansion in West Virginia burned down?  (It almost took the entire trailer park with it!)

Why do Marshall grads keep their diplomas on their dashboards? (So they can park in handicap parking spaces.)

What's the difference between a Marshall University sorority sister and a scarecrow? (One lives in a field and is stuffed with hay.  The other frightens birds and small animals.)

Did you hear about the fire in University of West Virginia's football dorm that destroyed 20 books? (The real tragedy is 15 of them hadn't been colored yet.)

And I must reiterate how great it is to see that Casimir Loxsom finished 2nd in the 800M at the USATF National Championships.  And Mohogany Jones taking 5th at the 200M also.  It was another glorious PSU Track and field season.

And in near unanimous fashion PSU Track and Field Alumni Golf Officers are all-in for Coach John Gondak becoming the new Head Coach (or Director, or whatever they are calling them today...) of the Penn State Nittany Lions.  He has demonstrated superb coaching ability, logistical planning, wonderful rapport with family and alums, dedication and work ethic, as well as unbelievable recruiting abilities during his last 8 years.  I have seen him sustain a small cut and he bleeds blue and white.  He has earned more than a chance to head up one of the finest T&F teams in the nation.  I have no doubt that he would bring honor and acclaim to everyone affiliated with PSU.  Remember what Coach Groves said about Athletics in college:

"Athletics is for education and recreation, nothing else. Winning is important only in that you learn more." -Coach Groves.

And in that regard, Coach Gondak shines even brighter.  If you look at the young men and women who have graduated from PSU in the past 8 years, you will see some of the finest America has to offer.






2 comments:

  1. Count me for a vote of confidence for Coach John G. taking over the program.
    Astute, aware, attentive, and friendly.

    Kevin Kelly O'Brien
    PSU X-C/T&F g. 1980
    USATF Official

    ReplyDelete
  2. If anyone feels compelled I would suggest sending a letter to Jan Bortner, the athletic director who oversees T/F, regarding the promotion of Gondak to head coach. Im hoping we can influence the powers that be a PSU.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics