Wednesday, June 18, 2014

"I Done Told You"

I didn't want to use the phrase "See, I told you so" because that's a book by Rush Limbaugh and I would take far too much abuse for that. (I never owned or read the book BTW)  So I stole the phrase from Gene Simmons for the title to the post.


I have often stated that stretching offers no protection from injury and no benefit to running speed.  (It can offers benefits of "feeling" better and flexibility in the elderly.)  Some of you may remember me ranting about having to stretch in Rec Hall before some runs back in the late 70's.  (That is until Dick Harter threw us out of Rec Hall for practices so he could poorly coach the basketball team and molest cheerleaders without the public's knowledge!)


Well, this was just in the news again.  Isn't Science wonderful, even if placed in Runner's World?


And here's another in the thousands of "studies" trying to make you think that changing your foot-plant may cure cancer and make you an Olympian!  (Remember, my favorite heel-striker is Greg Fredericks, after all!) The study seems to say that it doesn't matter much, as there is benefit and cost to each of the scenarios.  But then the author says "Ignore it all and run on your forefoot because I know better".  As I've always said, if you finish the race ahead of the competition it doesn't matter if you ran on your hands, your heels, or your knees.  Injuries happen with each "choice" in foot strike types, with those among forefoot strikers being overall more severe and permanent.*


*Results may vary. Consult your users manual.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics