Saturday, October 8, 2016

The Devil's Advocate*


“Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”
-Benjamin Franklin.

Those who know me know I don't drink much at all.  I often joke that in the past 2 decades I only have 2 beers each year.  Both are at the Track Alumni Reunion and Golf Tourney, as that is the only way I can make it through 18 holes of golf!

Truth is, I also sometimes have a drink when we go out to high-class fine dining establishments like Red Lobster and Chili's (hee hee hee).  My recent favorite has been a Sangria, but a classic margarita is the go-to choice at most places.  And the epitome of drink choices is the flaming cocktail at that rare Chinese restaurant while having my weekly Kung Pao repast. But that is only once a year too.


Kung Pao
Flaming "Mount Fuji"


In the olden days, when I did drink a little more, I can confess being quite drunk a few times.  And while the next day was most-of-the-time awful, I did notice something positive in the whole scenario.  I was often rebooted in all aspects of my life.  Refreshed as it were, physically, mentally and intellectually.  Nowadays, that never happens, despite my blood test values of kidney and liver function being rock solid.

Does the consumption of alcohol occasionally have positive effects in the athlete?

And does a coach (of appropriate age athletes) do a disservice by banning alcohol entirely?

I come down on the side of requiring abstinence of athletes if I was a coach.  In my mind, the negatives far outweigh the chance of positives.  But this article is trying to say that the occasional adult beverage isn't a sin.  And I do agree with that.

* Underage drinking is always wrong.  Criminally wrong.
* NO one should ever enter a car with a driver who has been drinking, including the driver.
*Alcohol is the most abused drug around the world. 
*Don't be an enabler of Alcoholism.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics