Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Horace, The Golden Putter, is in Good Hands

 One of the good things about being somewhat connected to the organization of the Annual Coach
Groves Golf Tourney
is that I get to meet new people and renew old friendships.  When I purchased the Golden Putter a few years ago to make an Award for the tourney, I hoped it would become a talked-about and worthy item.

With this year's Reunion I finally got the chance to meet the Putter's namesake, Horace Ashenfelter III, which was a big thrill.  He seemed somewhat surprised at the beautiful golden prize and delighted we thought of him enough to name it after him.

 That's Jeff Sanden, last year's winner of the Longest Putt Award on Hole 18 at the tourney holding Horace for the actual 15 seconds of the full year I had promised!  What can I say, I am sometimes a little off on my facts...

This year's longest putt was made by Dennis Hendershot, father of PSU's 7-foot  High Jumper Jon Hendershot.  I was pleased to meet a new friend and amazed at some of the shared memories of the Slate Belt we have in common.  Dennis is actually a bone fide golfer in a league and everything, but won't be able to use Horace since he is left-handed.  I never dreamt I would need a left-handed version at any point in the tourney's history.  I suppose I will now inquire with Ned Flanders at The Leftorium to see if I can pick one up for the future.  Dennis promises updates and photos from Horace's travels this year.  That's Dennis with Coach Groves in a photo Coach has asked me to forward to him.  I suppose I'll send it to Jess Riden, she will know what to do with it.

2 comments:

  1. ... and I'll cherish those 15 seconds highly forever - at least until I win it back again ...
    -jas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much like many of our love-lives. Fifteen seconds to glory... hee hee hee

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics