Friday, August 10, 2012

I Was Once Young and Foolish

Ah, those were the days.  Once you reached the third year at medical school, everything was pass/fail and you could relax a bit.  I was able to increase my running to nearly 50 miles a week, (quit laughing everybody, I really did!).  I also started going to the live shows of a new Philadelphia area band who had been Cyndi Lauper's band when she hit it big.  Cyndi is now a hockey mom from Boston and I'm semi-retired and on a Streak (of sorts).  But the Hooters are still going!  I saw many a late night show at the Tower Theatre, the Chestnut Cabaret, and Ardmore.  One show went all night and the sun was coming up on Mother's Day when we left.  Another show on South Street was so crowded and great that we lost one of our group in the melee.  He ended up in the Hospital with a busted jaw and doesn't remember any of it.  Six weeks of his jaw wired shut, drinking nothing but milkshakes and Kung Pao sauce through a straw left him in the best shape of his life. A lean running animal.  Ah, those were the days...

Here's The Hooters Live at the Tower Theatre in 1985:



And at the Borgata in Atlantic City in 2008:



They will be at the Stone Balloon in Dewey Beach Delaware some time soon!

2 comments:

  1. As a youngster, I used to take the bus from SW Philly to Upper Darby to the Tower for a movie, but I've yet to attend a concert at that venue. I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was actually at the concert in the video. In the front row, as always, for those shows. They had a great song called "Pete Rose" I loved to hear. An instrumental that got louder and louder, faster and faster, until a crescendo finish where they screamed "Pete Rose". Blood From a Stone (about the IRS) was another favorite. "You can scream, you can moan, but you can't get blood from a stone..."

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics