Tuesday, August 14, 2012

On Toenails, Global Warming and the Bastardization of Science

The photo shows a Weather Station that is in the best group used in the Official NOAA data documenting Global Warming. Other Groups have more problems than this.

In 25 years of unscientific scrutiny I have always observed that there is a noticeable increase in the growth of toenails in the summer as compared to the winter.  That's not quite Rocket Surgery, but it is none-the-less true. So when I have so unscientifically observed in the past few weeks that toenails have grown way more than usual this year, it got me to thinking of more important matters.  Is this Global Warming rearing its ugly head?  Does this portend disaster for all of us?  Is it still safe to wear your running shorts 2 days in a row without washing them?  (Forget that last one, but I would love a definitive answer to that.)

Most of you know that I am a skeptic on the matter of Catastrophic Anthropogenic Global Warming.  That is to say that I do not believe that man is responsible for the assured fiery destruction of the Earth any time soon.  That isn't to say that the Earth has not warmed.  My extensive perusal of both sides of the issue lead me to believe that the problem is overstated by three times by those who monetarily and politically benefit from sowing panic among those of us with wallets and votes. And one third of the catastrophe may well have far reaching benefits for humanity.

The Climate is such a complex system, I find it hard to believe that even the smartest of us could construct a method of predicting it a year from now, let alone decades from now.  The climate models bear that out.  None are even remotely good at predicting future events, although there are quite a few that uncannily predict the past.  Chaos kind of works like that.

So when I saw the recent pronouncements from "experts" that absolutely say recent weather extremes in the USA are absolute proof of Global Warming, and vice versa I presume, then I figured I might as well add my toenail observations to the mix.  I wonder if Michael Mann would pay me anything for my toenail-ring measurements?

Einstein once observed, when confronted with a letter from 100 Russian Physicists that disputed his Theory of Relativity, that if only one was right, it was all that was needed.  We know who won that battle, as the recent discovery of the Higgs boson seemed to validate Albert and drove a stake into the consensus of the 100.

But I could be wrong.  I hope to hear thoughts from others, maybe even including the Meteorology Majors and Physicists in our group. Although I'm warmed to know that cost estimates show that if we spend $77 Trillion, we could forestall 0.1 degree of warming.  Coming up with $77 Trillion may just be a problem, however.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics