Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Another Accumulation of Various Ideas

I want to talk about our compiling of the PSU Track Alumni Records.  Some have speculated that I have been doing yeoman's work in compiling this.  I haven't.  These mostly come from the old PSU Track and Field Media Guides.  Coach Groves kept these kind of meticulous details on record in his peculiar scrawl we all loved.  The current listing I'm trying to authenticate is mostly from the 2003 or 2004 Media Guide forwarded to me from Larry Mangan.  (Again, Larry has been one of my biggest helpers in my desire to keep interest in the Reunions and Coach Groves Golf Tourney building.  I can't thank him enough.)

There have been some updates because of our efforts, which is really the point.  All the various permutations of records and statistics becomes really difficult when you don't have a starting point.  Hence, I have no clue about women's records, let alone the Indoor compilations separate from the outdoor.  Then there are obscure events to add into the mix...

Dave Masgay responded after seeing his listing in the pole vault.  He relates the nearly 17 foot mark he set was at the Decathlon Olympic Trials in 1992.  He tried 17 foot and pulled his hamstring, thus making the mark his last ever attempt at the pole vault.  (These kind of stories is what I'm really after!) 

My next quandary is what to do when reporting the Distance Records.  Several of the marks are from an alumnus never wanting mentioned on our site again, or by PSU in general.  I think I'll honor his wishes and just redact his name like the governement always does with anything threatening the higher-ups. Remember though, everyone is welcome at our site.  No exceptions.  This site is not about me.  It is about all of us.  (Well, sometimes it's about me, for which I apologize.  hee hee hee)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics