Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The Original Dance Marathon And They Are Just Making Science Up Now

A fair number of you somehow knew that Steve Black was in the very first band to play at the very first Four Diamonds Fund Dance Marathon in the White Building in 1979 (oh so many years ago). (The Dance Marathon actually started in 1973, but the Four Diamonds Fund came in in 1977. The White Building was first used in 1979.  I was kind of surprised that so many knew Stave was involved.  Steve played bass guitar for Milo Thunder and the Road Hogs.  My efforts to find anyone else involved in the band or photos were in vain however.  And for you youngsters, there wasn't YouTube either! Man, I wish there was YouTube! I remember being there in the rather small crowd with just a few others cheering on the dozens of dancers.  Things have really changed, haven't they? I probably gave them a $1 bill for the cause.  Which was probably my week's expense money.

On the Science Front, another "scientific" study now shows 4 types of heel strikes in distance runners.  As if.  I can't tell you how ticked off I get when "scientists" talk about midfoot strikers (there is no such thing) and now atypical heel strikers. The gist of the whole foot striking thing is It Does Not Matter how you strike the ground.  Speed up and you will magically change! If you break the tape ahead of your rival running on your hands, you will still be declared the winner.  Trying to change running styles by any large degree is fraught with disaster. Switching from one kind of injury pool potential to another injury pool potential does no one any good. The injuries are often worse after switching.  But don't take my word for it, I'm only a lone voice in the wilderness without any semblance of relevance.*

*I'm a 27 year practicing podiatrist with Board Certification in both Surgical and Non-Surgical Orthopedic Podiatric Medicine.  I'm also a published biomechanics student, studying various foot types and foot strike patterns relating to injury rates. (Medicine and Science in Sports and Medicine) And you thought I was just a mediocre Blogger!  Don't get me started, and stay off my lawn....  hee hee hee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics