Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Good, The Bad And The Bearded Ugly: PSU is 800 U

First, The Good.  1983 4 x 800 Champions of America with Paul McLaughlin, Randy Moore, Mike Cook and Ken Wynn. I was there in the stands...



The Bad.  Here's Mike Cook leading off in the 4 x Mile at another Championship of America Race at Penn Relays.  This one didn't turn out as well for Mike, who has acknowledged he "rigged" soon after the photo was taken.  I think both he and the large bear on his back rigged!  The nasty graffiti that appears on the Collegian photo was posted in the Locker Room at the next week's Monday practice.  Mike relates he kept it and found it among his relics recently.  Both Mike and I think we know who wrote it, but that's for another day.  Mike will be making his way to State College again this year to beat me at both golf and the Alumni "Run".  I hope he brings his Penn Relays Watch with him!

The Ugly.  Check out Mike beating both Ken Wynn and Steve Shisler in this photo from the Penn State Open 800 M in 1982.  Talk about ugly beards!

8 comments:

  1. "That beard wouldn't be so dark now...... a lot more salt than pepper in the mix these days."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please elaborate on the "nasty graffiti" !!! s.shisler

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blow the photo up and you can read the mocking quote on the top and "Pre Rig" written on the bottom. @Steve, My question is "What were doing out in lane 3?" hee hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha!!! "None of you f*%$ers can pass me because I'm Mikey Cook and I can run 1:49"

    This may have been the lead off leg on the 1980 4x1500 relay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No need to do a handwriting analysis! I'll take ownership of that grafitti. I think Mike's Pete Maravich socks got wet and it slowed him down a tad in the last 300 meters! LTM

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really thought I was outing Gary! The Pete Maravich socks were my 7th grade b-ball trademark. Alas, that's as far as my similarity went. I still can't spin a basketball on my finger.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mike relates "circa 1980 or 1981". Sorry Gary, I was sure it would be you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics