Saturday, March 31, 2012

String Theory and Streaking

Still the number one post all-time on this blog had to do with my opinion on the future of String Theory, (known mostly as M-Theory by the smart set).  Physicists from around the world have hit on my post and realized that I don't really have much useful knowledge on the subject, despite my supreme curiosity.  Many still come back to download the photo on the post and spread the news to still other people much smarter than I. It's more popular than any post on even Coach Groves, on a site dedicated primarily to him! (You can change that by clicking on the interview I did with him at last year's Reunion or the Happy Birthday post with a great Big Mac birthday cake.)

Although I'm not in the league of the heavyweights (or even the lightweights!) of the field, I'll bet I'm right about the whole topic.  The whole field represents an intellectual exercise of the highest order for brains you and I cannot keep up with.  But it will probably never lead to anything practical that you and I will benefit from.  Which is okay, I suppose, as very smart people need to exercise their brains just as much as some of us need to exercise our diminishing athletic capacities.

Here's an article by someone who can articulate the problems with the field better than I.

And Penn State is in the mix of the discussion on Colleges with the best tradition of Naked Runs.  Those were the days of glory before political correctness took away the first glimpse of a naked member of the opposite sex for the nerds among us!  The Mifflin Mile probably still goes on in some capacity.  Maybe someone can let us know?

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps the best streak ever on a college campus was the one Gene Whetstone set up when PSU hosted a major gymnastics meet and he got a male gymnast (wearing a stocking mask) do a perfect tumbling run on the mat at Rec Hall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous beat me to it! It was the 1976 NCAA gymnastic meet. I worked the meet. Before any of the floor ex routines took place, this guy came out (it appeared from under the bleachers)with only a nylon stocking over his face, and executed a round-off, back handspring, back flip and ran off with security on his heels. The crowd went wild! It was a riot!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics