Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Celebrating PSU Track and Cross Country on the 40th Anniversary of Our Course Marshall's Senior Season!

Morale Officer Larry Mangan brings us this post, and I concur whole-heartedly!  And don't forget to get your entry and fees in for our Reunion and Golf Tourney!

Dave – This is the 40th anniversary of Greg Frederick’s legendary senior outdoor season when he set the still standing 5k and 10k (former AR) records – Bob Snyder got within 2.3 seconds and Charlie Maguire only 21.4 seconds since that time).  When he left PSU, Greg held every record from 1 mile to 10K and a slew of indoor records and relay records (indoor and out) to boot!! 

I’m pretty sure he the indoor and outdoor mile, indoor 2 and 3 miles, outdoor 5 and 10, 4xmile (in and out), DMR (in and out) and possibly the Sprint medley and 4x800 outdoors.  He was a multiple All-America, IC4A champ and had, arguably, the best range from 400 meters to 10K of any runner of his era – including Pre and Liquori.

His megawatt athletic accomplishments aside, I defy someone to find a nicer person (ok, Mr. Rogers does not count)!! (Check out Coach Groves' opinion of Greg in this old post!)  (Addendum:  One of Mr. Roger's sons was on my dorm floor at PSU.)

Best, Larry

4 comments:

  1. As if we need other examples of Greg's greatness on the track, how about his dual-meet double of 4:00.4 and 1:50.0. And, I believe, he added a 48 second leg on the mile relay team.
    Larry and Coach are right: Greg is a truly wonderful human being.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have stated my admiration for him many times. He was a big influence in my decision to try to make the team at PSU from 1975 on when I got his autograph when purchasing my first Nikes from him. I can't stress how much he has helped our group in these past few years WITHOUT EVER GOLFING WITH US. Sorry about the shouting there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the spring of 1980, in the run up to his 2nd place in the Oly Trials 10K and berth on the Oly Team, Greg worked out with us on a regular basis. Then 30 (at the time an age I thought was Social Security eligible), Greg clicked off 60 second pace 400s, 600s and 800s with ease - regardless of the cold, wind or rain. Trading laps with Greg that spring helped me to my best season as a collegian. Despite his annoying habit of running the recovery really fast (something Robert Snyder did equally as annoying) - it frequently seemed as fast as the interval - I found that if I tried to emulate his relaxed, fluid running style I actually ran faster. Funny how that all worked out!!! Since 1953 over 5,000 people have ascended Mt. Everest. Since 1972, no one has successfully climbed Mt. Fredericks' twin peaks - 5K or 10K! LTM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greg has also led the climb of Mt. Nittany many times for those not golfing in the tourney during our Alumni Reunion Weekend. That's after leading the Alumni "Run" and before heading over to the golf course for his duties as Course Marshall and Holder of "Horace" The Golden Putter. Thanks Greg, for all that help, even if we miss you this year!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Keep up the good work! (Try to mention others to encourage them to comment too!)

 
Web Statistics